The term Fat doesn’t always mean that you’ll just gain weight by the intake of it or as few may think even just by mentioning the term. You don’t have to avoid it all from your diet; infact, if chosen wisely and in moderation, fats from lowering cholesterol and helping shed excess weight to giving you shiny and healthy hair & nails; promotes good health.
You just need to know the right kinds and can easily live it up the right way!!!
· Nuts & Nut Butter, add nuts to vegetables or indulge into a bread slice with peanut butter, or just have a handful of walnuts/almonds as an evening snack, which would keep cholesterol at bay, thereby reducing the risk of heart diseases.Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and can be eaten in various forms.
· Seeds & Seed Oils(Sunflower,Sesame,Pumpkin,Flaxseeds), Being rich in Polyunsaturated fatty acids, they help in managing cholesterol and preventing heart problems.
· Vegetable Oils(Olive,Peanut,Canola), Being rich in Monounsaturated fatty acids, these are cholesterol friendly and helps prevent heart diseases.
· Coconut Oil Since it contains Medium chain fatty acids, it not only helps in preventing various heart problems, also is helpful in reducing abdominal obesity in women.
· Seafood(Salmon,Herring,Sardines,Trout,Cod liver oil,Prawns), Being rich in Omega-3 fatty acids,they help lower blood pressure & decrease the risk of coronary heart diseases.
In addition, one can also keep the following points in mind to help reduce the total amount of fat in the diet:
Ø Choose a diet rich in whole grains, raw vegetables & fruits.
Ø Limit your consumption of highly processed foods, bakery products and fried products, sources of Trans fat, which help increase the bad cholesterol (LDL).
By Aditi Shrishrimal: Health coach at LNF